What is PMLD?
PMLD stands for Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities. It is a term used to describe individuals who have severe learning disabilities and additional complex needs, such as physical disabilities, sensory impairments or medical conditions.
People with PMLD are unique individuals like everyone else. Due to their learning disabilities and other challenges, they will often need assistance with many aspects of their daily life. When people with PMLD receive the proper specialist support to meet their needs, they can live full and meaningful lives.
It’s important to note that PMLD is a spectrum and the level and combination of disabilities can vary widely from person to person. Each individual with PMLD will have unique needs and require a tailored approach to their care and support.
How We Can Help
At Liaise we believe that with the right support in place, people with profound multiple learning disabilities (PMLD) can achieve extraordinary things and lead full and enriching lives. Every day, at every step of the way, we help people with support needs thrive.
We offer residential and supported living housing solutions that empower people with learning disabilities to enjoy new experiences, make meaningful friendships and develop independent living skills.
We support a wide variety of people with different needs and capabilities. We listen carefully to the people we support and their families to create bespoke support packages that are completely tailored to each individual.
Through a variety of person-centred services and activities, we help people with profound multiple learning disabilities achieve positive outcomes. Our goal is to empower every person we support to live a happy and healthy life.
Our Residential and Supported Living Services
Each Liaise home has its own distinct character and personality. We work with the people we support and their families to help them find accommodation options that match their needs and wishes.
In support of someone with PMLD, we recognise the importance of creating bespoke living environments for each person we support. It is common for our teams to work with Occupational Therapists to facilitate specialist reviews of each accommodation. This leads to the identification of hoists or other support aids an individual may require.
In each of our dynamic and diverse homes, we provide specialist support that builds confidence and promotes the growth of social, vocational and life skills. This support can be offered round the clock or for just a few hours a week on an as-needed basis. We adapt the support we provide to the unique needs of each individual.
Our approach is guided by the principles of “person-centredness”. This means the support we provide is always based on the specific needs, interests and goals of each person. Whatever their needs, we value every person as an individual and provide support that is guided by the principles of dignity and respect.
The Liaise Approach
Through many years of experience in supporting people with profound multiple learning disabilities, we know they may face overlapping challenges and health concerns. That’s why the person-centred support plans we create are highly flexible so that we can adapt our approach to each individual.
We work closely with specialist community teams to provide any additional support an individual needs. Additionally, we have an on-going training and development program which supports our staff to learn new skills. These new skills support individuals developing needs and, where required, support the needs of new people moving into our homes.
Our dedicated and highly skilled staff use positive approaches and technology aids to help people with profound multiple learning disabilities express their needs and wishes. We also provide access to a wide spectrum of services and activities designed to build confidence and teach independent living skills.
Our support plans are regularly reviewed in partnership with the individual to ensure they are always producing positive outcomes. Our goal is to help the people we support live as independently as possible with the reassurance that a helping hand is always available.
Specialist Support for PMLD
Specialist support for people with PMLD is crucial to help them live fulfilling lives and reach their full potential. At Liaise, we offer a range of specialised support for people with PMLD, including:
- Communication: We support people in communicating effectively and interacting with the world around them. Our staff includes speech and language experts who take the time to understand each person’s unique means of communication and develop effective ways of interaction. We utilise a range of communication methods to help people express their wishes and emotions, make choices and interact.
- Sensory needs: We create multi-sensory environments that are tailored to individual preferences and needs. Our staff are trained to use touch, sound, and smell to facilitate communication and understanding.
- Mobility: Our trained staff work closely with healthcare professionals to assess a person’s mobility requirements and develop a personalised support plan. We provide specialist equipment, such as hoists and standing frames to help people move safely and comfortably.
- Positive behaviour support (PMS): We use PBS to understand a person’s behaviour, identify the underlying reasons for it, and develop proactive strategies to prevent complex behaviours from occurring. We work closely with the person and their support network to establish goals and implement positive strategies that promote their independence and social inclusion.
- Complex health needs: We recognise that health and well-being are crucial to their overall quality of life. We provide support with medication management, feeding and nutrition, and personal care to help people maintain their physical and mental health.
Some of the services and activities we provide can include:
- Daily activity programmes tailored to the capabilities of each individual
- Support in finding employment, education or volunteering opportunities, where appropriate
- Through opportunities and with guidance, we help each person to develop relationships that are meaningful to them
- Outings and trips into the local community
- Regular social events, both in home and in the community
- Support that enables the growth of practical home focused skills such as cooking, housework and decorating.
- Each person is supported within a person-centred framework, to develop their community skills such as shopping, banking and the management of health appointments.
Our Quality Standards
Here at Liaise, we are very proud of the high levels of support our PMLD specialist services provide. Our commitment to quality is reflected in our outstanding outcomes and improvements to the quality of life of all the people we support. We are regulated by the Care Quality Commision and are proud to have achieved an outstanding CQC rating not once, but twice in a row for one of our services. Two of our other services have received an outstanding outcome in one of the five areas as well.
Learn more about residential and supported living
We are proud to provide unconditional care and support that suits every need and capability.
We are here to support you and your family. If you would like to learn more about our care and support services, do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you.